Member Of:
Justia Lawyer Rating
Avvo Rating
Super Lawyers

Minor in Possession of Alcohol

Minor in Possession

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 138 § 34C prohibits minors from knowingly possessing, transporting or carrying alcohol. This crime is punishable by a fine of up to $50 for a first offense and a fine of up to $150 for second or subsequent offense. If you are convicted of this crime, it will be reported to the registrar of motor vehicles, and your license will be suspended for 90 days. Persons between the ages of 18 and 21 who carry alcohol in the course of employment are exempted from this statute.

Not only is being charged with a crime a scary situation for any minor to be in, being charged with the crime of minor in possession can also be a very serious situation that can have devastating consequences for a young person in Massachusetts. A high school or college student facing this charge could face serious ramifications in the present and negative effects in the future. A conviction could lead to losing a scholarship or being ineligible to play on their sports team.

Young people often make impulsive decisions that can have long-lasting consequences, such as drinking before they are 21. If a high school student is convicted of this crime, that student could lose out on many opportunities, such as scholarships to help pay for college. The minor may even have trouble being admitted to their top choice of school. If a college student is convicted of this crime, they could lose their current scholarship or face difficulties in securing a grad school admission.

A minor in possession conviction can be a black spot on a young person’s record that can continue to impact that person long after their conviction. A conviction of this crime can make someone miss out on opportunities or have more difficulties with important life events, such as finding a job or getting into college.

If you have been charged with this crime, you should contact an attorney immediately. You need a Massachusetts minor in possession attorney on your side who can help.

Procuring Alcohol for a Minor

Social hosts and others who provide alcohol to minors can be charged with the crime of procuring alcohol for a minor.

Under Massachusetts Law, you can be charged criminally if you knowingly or intentionally provide alcohol to or allow a person less than 21 years of age to possess alcohol on your property, unless that minor is your child or grandchild. If you are convicted of this offense, you could face up to one year in jail and a fine of $2000.

It is not required under the law that you own the property on which the offense occurs. If you are someone who has been entrusted with the property, such as a babysitter, you can still face this charge.

If you or a loved one has been charged with minor in possession or procuring alcohol for a minor, you need a Massachusetts criminal defense attorney on your side. Contact Attorney Cappetta today for a free consultation. Attorney Cappetta is an experienced and skilled negotiator who will work to protect your record and your future.